- 300g plain wholemeal flour
- 50g rolled porridge oats, plus extra for decoration
- 3 heaped tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g raisins
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 50g pecans, chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150ml low fat natural yogurt
- 150ml milk (used skimmed – you’ll never notice the difference)
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium (red) apples, grated
- 1 medium carrot (100g peeled weight), coarsely grated
- To decorate:
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
A great breakfast idea, very easy to make as you can do most of it the day before and makes the house smell great in the morning whilst cooking!
Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Lightly oil a non-stick muffin pan with 12 large cups (or two six-cup pans).
Combine the first nine ingredients (the dry ingredients) in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the remaining (wet) ingredients well. At this stage you can leave over night then continue in the morning. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Spoon into the prepared pans.
Sprinkle with oats, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and bake for 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then cool on a rack. Eat when still warm.
You can prepare the dry and wet ingredients the night before. Combine the two in the morning and you’ll have a fresh-baked breakfast.