- 150g chicken tikka pieces, cut into chunks
- 80g white rice
- ¼ - ½ tsp turmeric
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cucumber, cut into chunks
- 30g sultanas
- 30g dried apricots, chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- Handful fresh mint, chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 cloves
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 pieces of lime from a jar of lime pickle, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp mango chutney
Coronation chicken has been updated for the Queen’s forthcoming Diamond Jubilee. This version is transformed into a lunchtime salad with the addition of rice and dried fruits.
To a pan of boiling water add the rice, turmeric, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf. Cook the rice for 10 minutes, according to the pack instructions.
When the rice is cooked, remove the shrapnel and drain. Cool under a running cold water tap. Whilst the rice is cooling and drying, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
In a medium bowl mix the mayonnaise, chutney and lime pickle together. Add the remaining ingredients and the cooled rice and mix.
Serve on a bed of salad leaves with more herbs sprinkled over.
This recipe gives a new lease of life to chicken chunks normally used as a sandwich filling.