- 1 tbsp vegetable (rapeseed) oil
- 100g cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 60g dried ready-to-eat apricots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli flakes or crushed dried chilli (depending on the heat you want)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (reduced salt if possible)
- 50g wholemeal couscous (available from Tesco) or bulgar wheat or quiona
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh or frozen parsley or coriander, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
Filling, warming, tasty and healthy! What more could you want from a soup?! It’s ideal to take to work for your lunch. The list of ingredients may look long, but they all play their part in getting your SixFix.
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, fry for about 5 minutes until softened and starting to go brown. Add the pepper and garlic and fry for 1 minute. Then add all the dried spices and fry for a further 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add all the remaining ingredients except the couscous and herb. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the couscous and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the coriander or parsley just before serving.
Serve with flatbreads for an extra Moroccan touch. Divide between 4 -6 freezable pots and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge. Heat in the microwave for 4 minutes. Pour into a Thermos flask and take to work for lunch!
For a vegetarian version, swap the chicken with 100g cubed butternut squash. Test after 10 minutes to ensure it’s nearly tender. Cook for an extra 5 minutes if necessary before adding the couscous.