- 2 litres of home made turkey stock (see footnote* in method) or ready made chicken stock
- 200g leftover turkey or chicken (preferably the dark meat), shredded
- 150g wholewheat noodles (or 3 nests)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 2-3 small red chillis (with or without seeds), finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger or galangal, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 100g soya (edamame) beans or peas
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 tbsp fresh (or frozen) parsley or coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
A great way to use as much of your leftover turkey as possible – carcass and all! Also provides a much needed lighter option at this time of food excess.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stock pot. Add the lemongrass, chilli and ginger and fry gently for 1 or 2 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
Add the noodles, turkey and the vegetables (except the spring onions) and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the noodles are cooked through and the turkey is hot.
Add the spring onions, soy sauce, lime juice and coriander/parsely. Serve in bowls with more herbs to sprinkle over and lime wedges on the side.
* Homemade turkey stock:
Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot with 2 large carrots (halved), an onion (unpeeled but quartered), 2-3 bay leaves, 5-6 peppercorns, parsley stalks, thyme sprigs, 3 allspice berries (crushed), 2 cloves, 2-3 blades of mace and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 hours. Strain into a large jug or bowl and refridgerate until required or freeze in portionsto use another time (as long as you aren’t going to freeze the dish you make with ther stock).