- 50g Puy, green or brown lentils
- Bay leaf
- 200ml reduced salt chicken or veg stock (or homemade – without added salt)
- 1 good handful each of green & yellow courgette chunks and cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion cut into wedges or thick slices
- Fresh herbs – I used rosemary, thyme, sage, basil & garlic chives
- 1 tps of olive or cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
Makes a lovely filling lunch dish, sit back, enjoy and wait for the ‘lunch envy’ comments!!
Preheat oven to about 180 oC. Bring the stock to the boil and add the bay leaf and lentils. Simmer for 30 – 40 mins (or according to pack instructions). Meanwhile, mix the veg, oil, balsamic vinegar and the non-soft herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) in a small baking tray with a twist or 2 of black pepper. Roast for about 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
When the lentils are cooked, drain and mix with the roasted veg and the remaining herbs, more pepper if required and some chopped up lean ham or top with a round of toasted goats cheese.
This can be served warm if you’re at home or pop it into a sealable plastic box and take to work – chill until lunchtime.