- 200g turkey breast (raw or leftover roast)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Spray oil
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 8 flour tortillas (Discovery make wholemeal ones)
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 8 medium ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 100g reduced fat extra mature cheese
- To serve:
- Reduced fat creme fraiche
- Tomato salsa
- Waitrose reduced fat guacamole
- Green salad
- Low fat salad dressing
Thankfully these little parcels don’t contain ‘the fastest mouse in all Mexico’ (for those who remember the cartoon!) but they are certainly very speedy. Full of flavour and vegetables for your SixFix they don’t taste like they should be healthy!
Spritz a non-stick frying pan with spray oil and place over a high heat. If using raw turkey, add to the pan once hot and fry for a few minutes until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a plate. Spritz with a little more oil and add the onion. Fry for a few minutes until softened. Add the pepper, garlic and spices and fry for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant. If using ready cooked turkey, add to the pan with the spices to warm through. Stir in the chopped coriander.
Meanwhile, warm the tortillas through in your microwave or a cool oven to make them more pliable for folding.
Roughly divide the filling mixture into 8 portions in the pan. Spoon a portion of filling into the middle of a tortilla. Top with approx 1/8 of the tomato and spring onions. Fold the tortilla edges over the filling as if wrapping a present. Turn over and place the folded side down in a large ovenproof dish. Repeat until all the parcels are made. Top with a little grated reduced fat cheese if you want.
Pop the dish in the oven for approx 15 minutes until the parcels are crisp and golden.
Serve with a large salad, a reduced fat creme fraiche, salsa and reduced fat guacamole.
This is a great way of using up leftover roast turkey or chicken and makes a pleasant change from the proverbial turkey curry!
To make a vegetarian version, swap the turkey with quorn pieces or a can of drained mixed beans.