- 2kg prepared pumpkin (approx 3kg whole pumpkin), peeled, seeds removed and flesh roughly chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 4-6 fat cloves smoked garlic (or normal garlic), chopped
- 3 medium chillis (with or without seeds), chopped
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp vegetable (rapeseed) oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp sherry
This soup combines the elements of hallowe’en – pumpkin, chilli to represent the devil and garlic to keep the vampires away. But a dash or two of sherry ensures that not all the spirits are kept away!
Heat the oil in a very large saucepan or stock pot and add the onions. Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes. Add the chilli and garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, stock and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the pumpkin is very tender.
Add the sherry and whiz in a food processor, liquidiser or hand blender until smooth.
Serve topped with sliced red chilli and crusty wholemeal bread.
Save the seeds from the pumpkin and roast until golden. Eat as a snack or use to add crunch to homemade bread.